Monday, November 13, 2006

A flat ... at last

Scratch, scratch…..this week was so hectic that I'm only just getting around to writing down what I've been up to – sorry if you've been waiting!

 

The early part of the week was taken up with work. I was in work on Sunday, and then I had to work late on Tuesday. I was meant to be working late on Wednesday, but there were problems and the schedule got rearranged, and I got home on time! I was awfy glad, 'cos I was already tired out!! It was a bit of an adventure on Sunday. Until then, I had been getting the Michelin bus to work – it leaves from outside my hotel and drops me at the factory gate. I don't need to think, and can happily fall asleep. The bus doesn't run on a Sunday! Hmm. So I had to find my own way to work. I got on the metro line 1 to the end, then changed to metro line 5 to the end, and then got a taxi. Not complicated! It still takes about 90 minutes, though! Of course, there are no taxis waiting at the factory gate to take me to the metro station, and they're not keen for such a short trip, so I walked. It wasn't a big problem as it was a nice day – sunny, about 23 degrees. It took about 20 minutes, and then of course another 90 back to the city. I cheated a little bit, and jumped out early – to explore an area with some interesting looking places. Sunday afternoon – had to be the DIY/garden centre!!! I do miss my DIY. I haven't lifted a screwdriver in anger for eons. It wasn't quite B&Q, but not bad. (Seemingly B&Q has a couple of shops in Shanghai, but they found that the local market preferred the fuly- fitted service than the DIY service, so it's not quite the same.) After a wander about, I then headed off to IKEA. Yes, they have IKEA in Shanghai, and yes, it's just like IKEA in the UK (and Russia), but with EVEN MORE people in it!! I managed not to pick anything up on the way round the shop, and I was so glad – the queues at the checkouts were 15 people deep! Nightmare!! Well, it was Sunday afternoon.

 

I rewarded myself for all my hard work by going to a Brazilian restaurant. I first tried this place with Sheila when she was over. It's a great concept – the chefs barbeque the meat – lamb, beef, pork, chicken …, and then wander around the dinners serving it up.

 

The biggest event of this week was finally – after 3 months – I have moved into my flat. It was all a bit of a disaster. The landlord had done none of the things she'd promised, so the weekend was spend with people and things coming and going all the time – with washing machines, desks, internet connections …. I had to bail out in the afternoon to go and see my pal the dentist. I'm sure I've spent more time with her than with anyone else in China. That was the last time for a while, unless more teeth fall out! I made the most of my escape and started shopping for the flat. You know, those little luxuries like sheets, pillows, a duvet, towels, plates, cutlery … I was very keen to try out my new bedding! I was not at all impressed when I was woken up just after 7am on SUNDAY morning with the building work in the new apartment building next door ……….


Sleep was also a bit short on Sunday night - a mosquito had made it all the way up to the 18th floor, and proceeded to have a feast. I woke up scratching at 2am. Grrr! Of course, I couldn't find my Anthasan anywhere at that time of the morning. Scratch, scratch!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

tramadol online tramadol repeat order - tramadol hcl and acet