Sunday, April 08, 2007

Spring has sprung

The weather here has definitely improved, so I’m beginning to emerge from my winter sloth. I was feeling a bit brave last Saturday, and went over to the pool. I arrived and there were about 5 other people there. Not bad, but when you’re used to having the whole pool to yourself (as I was in Russia), it’s still a bit crowded. The worst bit was to come though. I was minding my own business, and swimming up and down quite calmly, when 20 10-year-old kids arrived!! Agghhh!! They were running about, jumping in, screaming their heads off, and generally behaving like 10 year-olds in a swimming pool. I am so not used to that!! I gamely carried on, but at one point, one of the kids swam into me, and bruised my ribs with their head. Grrrr!! Enough is enough, and I left. It turned out that it was a birthday party, so shouldn’t happen ever Saturday. I was tempted to go yesterday, but I wasn’t convinced……but I was good and went back a couple of times last week. I hope to go later on, but that depends if I’m still waiting…..

Still waiting for what?? Well, you see, the factory closes for 3 days at the beginning of May, so I have a few days holiday. As usual, my holiday grew arms and legs, and I’m now meeting Sheila in Las Vegas for a week!! It was another of those holidays that started of as a few days as the beach…… Ah well, maybe one day. Anyway. I need to get myself to Las Vegas. Easy, you would think, just book yourself a flight and you’re there. Hmmm that’s the hard part – I’m in China. I found a website to book flights, but the website wasn’t working. So I phoned the number, but had to phone during the day – so come Saturday, I’m all set. Well, it was so complicated. I had to speak to 4 different people, there were 3 different emails, 6 phone calls, 4 text messages (in Chinese, so I’ve no idea what they mean) and 2 delivery slots. The tickets, when we eventually managed to get them booked were due to arrive yesterday, but then I got yet another phone call to say that they couldn’t be delivered until today. They should have got here an hour ago ……..! Sheila booked hers in less than 5 minutes. I’ve used up all weekend, and I haven’t got them yet!! And it’s been sunny all weekend!! Hmm.

I was out for a meal on Wednesday, with the folks from work. The place we went to was amazing. It was near People’s Square and Nanjing Road, in the old British Concession – and it looked like it. It was done up in the Art Deco style with mahogany, chandeliers and Tiffany lamps everywhere. Very nice place. I thought the food was fine, but my Chinese pals says that it was so-so. It was a good atmosphere anyway!

No comments: