Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Nine Million Bicycles in Beijing, but 10 Million and 1 in Shanghai!!

Still able to do photos!! Long may it continue.

The big news today is that I’m in my shorts!! It looks like spring has sprung, and the temperatures are soaring. It’s been above 20 degrees since Friday (for at least some of the day!). It’s so nice not to be huddled under my sleeping bag all the time. Now I’m feeling all guilty because all my great intentions of getting fit over the winter have come to nothing – and it’s too late now!! I think I must have spent the winter lying on the couch, so now I have pay (or come up with some more excuses!)

Spring is here - and so is the blossom.

Another of my great winter projects was to do the tour of the museums. Didn’t make much progress on that either! So on Sunday it was either go and do some exercise or visit a museum. Shanghai Museum is pretty good – and the shop is one of the better museum shops I’ve visited. OK, OK – so I bought a book – is anybody surprised?

So, the improvement in the weather means that I’ll be able to take my bike for a spin - or to be more accurate – Sheila’s bike. Yes, the same bike that I borrowed from her in 2002 – 5 years ago; the same bike that went to Russia, and is now sitting on my balcony waiting for me to take it for an outing. It has already had its maiden voyage in China, thanks, mum! As you might imagine – there’s a story here!!

My bike arrived here with all my boxes in November, the weekend before it got cold in Shanghai, so it’s spent the last few months wrapped up in bubble-wrap; sitting on the balcony. Well, a few weeks ago, I decided that I needed to get it unpacked, so I attacked the bubble-wrap with scissors, and eventually the bike emerged. So far, so good! As I had no idea if my stuff was going to be transported by air from Russia, I let the tyres down. Easy – just blow them up again and take for a test drive…… Hmmm. Front tyre – no problem, but the back tyre would do nothing. I eventually looked at the pump – and discovered that the bit that opens up the valve to let the air in was gubbed. Ahha! The pump is broken, so I can’t blow up the tyre. I lost enthusiasm for the project after that, and went and had a cup of tea.

All over China, there are little shops of bicycle repair men, and I’d found one not far from my place. So, I asked mum if she would take the bike to the repair man, to have the tyres blown up. Simple job, I thought – but this is China, and mum’s a bit weak on speaking Chinese. So, the first part went well. Mum got the bike into the lift – and then things stopped going smoothly. The lift stopped on the way down, and a man got in – mum was standing there holding the bike, but both of them ignored the fact. You can just see them standing in the lift, ignoring the bike – it makes me laugh every time I think about it!! Anyway, mum pushes the bike out to the road and then down the street, and turns towards the bike repair shop… and the gets distracted. The place I had seen (and pointed out!) was on the main road, but before mum got there, she walked past a little lane; looking down the lane she saw a man waving at her, but carried on for a bit, then realised that it was a bike repair man, so backed up to see the man was still waving at her – so away she went to speak to him about blowing up my tyres. It turned out that the back tyre was perished, so there was no way I could have blown it up! Mum sat on a handy wall while the bike got repaired (until the man went to get her a chair). To replace the inner tube, blow up the tyres, give it a bit of a service and take it for a test drive cost 30 yuan – 2 pounds. I was well impressed, and will be going back to get a bell and a stand fitted!!

By popular demand, I have posted a couple of photos of Koshka - do you remember when she was as little as the first photo?

She's grown up a lot now.........

It's her birthday tomorrow - she'll be 2!! Happy birthday, Koshka.


No comments: